CHANGES TO TAX RETURN DUE DATES FOR 2016 TAX YEAR
Below is a list of the new federal due dates applicable for 2016 tax returns and beyond.
Returns Due March 15 (Extensions Allow Until September 15th)
- Form 1065 Partnerships - due date moved from April 15 to March 15 or the 15th day of the third month after the year-end.
- Form 1120S S Corporations - No change, due date remains March 15, allowing for preparation of Schedule K-1s as they relate to individuals and organizations
Returns Due April 15 (Extensions Allow Until October 15th, unless noted below*)
- Form 1040 Individuals
- Form 1041 Estates and Trusts (*extensions allow until Sept. 30 -- changed from Oct. 15)
- Form 1120 Corporations - due date moved from March 15 to April 15; returns are due the 15th day of the fourth month after the year-end (Note: Corporations with a fiscal tax year ending June 30 must file by September 15th)
- FinCEN Form 114 (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts “FBAR”) – due date moved from June 30 to April 15. However, for the first time, a six-month extension to Oct. 15 will be available